|
|
|
The Shawnee News-Star
  • House damaged after fire in window air conditioner unit

  • Shawnee firefighters work the scene of a house fire Friday at 1418 E. Walnut.


    • email print
  • Shawnee firefighters work the scene of a house fire Friday at 1418 E. Walnut. No one was home at the time of the blaze, which was reported by a neighbor who saw smoke.
    Acting Battalion Chief Mike VanAntwerp said it appears the fire started at a window air conditioning unit in a bedroom. Cause of the fire was likely because that window unit was being run with an extension cord, he said. Fire damage was heavy in the bedroom, but the entire house also had smoke damage, he said. Fire damage in the attic also affected the wiring.
    The American Red Cross responded to assist the occupants of the home with clothing and a place to stay, but Red Cross officials also provided water and Gatorade for fire crews battling the blaze in the intense heat. “It’s tough when it’s 105-106 degrees,” VanAntwerp said. No injuries were reported.
    ED BLOCHOWIAK STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER

        calendar