|
|
|
The Shawnee News-Star
  • Crews work fire scene at Finley Cleaners downtown

  • Shawnee firefighters responded about 12:17 p.m. Wednesday to a reported fire at Finley Cleaners, 15 E. 10th.


    • email print
  • Shawnee firefighters responded about 12:17 p.m. Wednesday to a reported fire at Finley Cleaners, 15 E. 10th.
    According to employees at the scene, a machine near the ceiling sparked and caused the ceiling insulation to catch fire.
    Shawnee Fire Capt. Jack Miller reported it was a “flash-type” fire.
    He said an electrical malfunction likely sparked the flash fire, which was out upon arrival of fire crews.
    Crews did find and had to remove smoldering insulation from inside the business, Miller said, working rotations in the intense temperatures.
    Employees on scene said the internal temperature of the room reaches up to 120 degrees because of the dryers.
    With that, along with triple-digit temperatures outside, firefighters wearing heavy bunker gear rotated inside and out and drank plenty of water and sports drinks to help keep them hydrated, Miller said.
    Miller, who said the business was safely evacuated, said no injuries were reported.
    There was no reported structural damage, nor any water or smoke damage at the business, Miller said, although an electrician was expected at the scene.
    Fire crews remained on scene a little more than an hour; the business remained closed for the rest of the day.
     

        calendar