McLoud’s opportunistic defense and balanced offensive attack helped the Redskins spoil Friday night’s homecoming for Tecumseh, 40-16.

McLoud’s opportunistic defense and balanced offensive attack helped the Redskins spoil Friday night’s homecoming for Tecumseh, 40-16.

“Our kids are not the biggest, strongest or fastest kids, but they played their guts out,” McLoud head coach Eric Cardin said. “We’re kind of a raggedy team, but our kids play hard.”

None played harder Friday than Redskin quarterback Joseph Wood.

Wood threw for 207 yards and a score on 12-of-23 passing for McLoud (4-2), which pushed its winning streak to three games.

More importantly, the Redskins remain undefeated at 3-0 in District 4A-2 play.

Wood also scored the dagger for the Redskins, a 4-yard rushing touchdown with 4:56 left in the game, capping a 10-play, 45-yard drive to put McLoud up 33-16.

“Joseph [Wood] is getting better. He’s a great player. People don’t realize he missed all of last year with a torn ACL,” Cardin said.

The game had a very different feel midway through the first quarter. After a Redskin three-and-out to open the game, the Savage offense drove 74 yards to take the lead on a Tanner Rickey 7-yard touchdown run.

Rickey gained 73 yards on six carries for the Savages (2-3, 0-3), most of them coming on wide receiver sweep plays.

In the second quarter, McLoud flipped the script on the Savages, scoring 20 unanswered points.

Klayton Adams scored on a 33-yard run and Wood added a 2-yard plunge in the quarter. Adams finished with 91 yards on 16 carries and two touchdowns.

Tecumseh looked to turn the game around in the third quarter, opening with a 10-play, 90-yard scoring drive capped by quarterback Colton Owen’s 1-yard plunge.

That score closed the gap to 20-14.

“We told them at halftime, ‘They’re going to run the ball.’ When [Tecumseh] came out and scored after halftime, we just kept pounding. I was proud of them,” Cardin said.

It took all of two plays for the Redskins to counter. Wood found Zaylon Mahtapene deep in Tecumseh territory for a 68-yard score.

Mahtapene totaled 128 yards on four catches.

Owen had a miserable night, going 5-of-21 for 61 yards and two picks.

McLoud’s defense forced three turnovers, which the offense turned into 17 points. Even when Tecumseh was able to intercept Wood with eight minutes left in the second quarter, the Savages turned around and fumbled on the very next play, leading to a 27-yard McLoud field goal.

The brightest spot for the Savages was running back Julian Tramble, who rumbled for 145 yards on 16 carries.

McLoud went into halftime with a 20-7 lead following a decision to put one second on the clock before halftime.

Following a McLoud turnover on downs deep in Tecumseh territory with 23 seconds left in the second quarter, Redskin safety Will Olds picked off Owen’s deep first-down pass at the McLoud 40.

Olds returned the ball 45 yards to the Tecumseh 15, but the scoreboard clock read triple-zeroes when he was whistled down.

As Savage players jogged toward the locker room, officials conferred and put one second back on the clock.

“I thought there were three seconds left, because I saw them blow the whistle dead and looked up at the clock and there were three seconds left,” Cardin said. “They just ran off. I believe the officials made the right call right there.”

The extra second allowed Redskin kicker Dakota Jordan to nail a 33-yard field goal before the half.

Jordan hit two field goals and four extra points on the day, and recorded a monster 80-yard touchback on a free kick following a Tecumseh safety.

McLoud returns home next week to take on division foe Mannford. Tecumseh, now through with the roughest stretch of its schedule, travels to Harrah for a match with the Panthers next Friday. Both games are set for 7:30 kickoffs.