Micaela Yu scored a game-high 25 points and Class 5A’s third-ranked Shawnee Lady Wolves topped Piedmont 62-57 in double overtime Tuesday.

Micaela Yu scored a game-high 25 points and Class 5A’s third-ranked Shawnee Lady Wolves struck for better than 55 percent (19-for-34) from the field in topping Piedmont 62-57 in double overtime Tuesday.

That puts Shawnee at 2-0 on the season, and gives the defending state champion Lady Wolves a 31-game winning streak.

Shawnee held a 12-11 lead after the first quarter, and a 28-25 lead at halftime, before No. 6 Piedmont turned the tables and led 35-32 after three quarters. Shawnee out-scored the hosts 12-9 in the fourth, capped by Bailey Taylor’s jumper in the lane to knot the score at 44 and send the game into the first OT.

Each team scored nine in the first extra session, and Taylor paced the Lady Wolves’ 9-4 surge in the second OT with a 4-for-4 effort at the free throw line. Taylor also led Shawnee in rebounds with eight.

McKenzie Cooper added 11 points, seven boards and three assists for the Lady Wolves.

“At the end I was really proud of they way they listened to what we needed to do,” SHS coach Wendi Wells said of her team. “It shows that these young kids are starting to show some maturity.

“They really gave us a chance to win. They made real good decisions at the end.”

Shawnee was 18-for-25 (72 percent) from the charity stripe.

The Lady Wolves will face Tulsa Edison at 10 a.m. Thursday in the first round of the Bixby Tournament. The tournament concludes Saturday.

Shawnee’s 19th-ranked boys came close to pulling off an upset of No. 10 Piedmont in Tuesday’s nightcap, but ultimately dropped to 0-2 on the season with a 50-47 setback.

Trey Maston led the Wolves, and the game, with 22 points — including five of Shawnee seven shots from 3-point range. Theo Berry was next for SHS with eight points.

Shawnee led by one (11-10) to start the second quarter, and the score was tied at 25 to start the second half.

The Wolves held an 11-point lead at one second-half juncture, and led 39-36 after three quarters.

“We had a really big third quarter,” said Wolves’ coach Ron Arthur. “We got out to an 11-point lead and just couldn’t hold on to it.”

The game was tied at 44 in the fourth.

The Wildcats “really beat us on the boards,” Arthur said.

“We just couldn’t make any plays down the stretch, but the effort was there,” Arthur said. “We are showing improvement. They are taking steps toward maturing and getting better.”

The Wolves will face Durant at 5:30 p.m. Thursday in the first round of the Durant Tournament. The tournament will conclude Saturday.

Note: Report compiled by Jason Smith.