Grease on a stove is the reported cause of a house that Shawnee crews battled earlier this week.
Shawnee firefighters responded to extinguish a house fire Monday afternoon at 309 N. Eastern.
The call came in about 1:14 p.m. Firefighters said the blaze involved a kitchen fire mainly contained to that area, where there was heavy fire damage.
No one was home at the time of the blaze, but reports indicated cause was likely unattended grease left on the stove, said Deputy Chief Dru Tischer.
Red shift fire crews responded quickly and "did a great job" making sure the fire didn't spread, said Fire Chief David Short.
Tischer said fire crews jumped on the blaze quickly and aggressively and were able to minimize the damage by extinguishing the fire before it got into the structure and attic.
The American Red Cross was called in to help the occupants as the house had smoke and electrical damage. No injuries were reported.