Four boxes and a list is all you need to organize your home, one room at a time! Spring is usually a time people begin to look around the house and notice those spots where clutter has built up over the winter months. It may be a room, counter-top, closet or drawer but every house has it's "spot", and sometimes it may be 2 or 3 spots! If you are ready to tackle one of your clutter spots, here is a really easy and fast way to get that dreaded job completed so you can head outside to enjoy the sunshine.
1. Gather easy to store boxes, plastic bins or cardboard boxes. They will become your decluttering tools for rooms to come!
2. Assign each box a mission.
3. Get a piece of paper and a pencil for a list.
Route It box will collect items that do not belong in the room. This box will keep you from getting distracted in other rooms.
Give It box will collect treasures that are no longer wanted or needed, but in good condition. This box can be donated to your favorite organization or garage sale.
Store It box will collect items you are unsure of. Place a scheduled toss/donate date. If the box is not accessed by the date, you have just proven that items inside are not needed or missed. Deliver it unopened to the organization of your choice.
Toss It box will include trash, items that are in poor repair, or you have no idea what it is.
3. Choose the room to declutter and set your timer for a predetermined time of 20 to 60 minutes. Allow for additional 5 to 10 minutes for final clean up. Starting on the right side of the room, place items in the corresponding box. If time is up before the room is finished, remember where you stopped.
4. THE LIST will collect to-dos or reminders. While decluttering, you may remember tasks you haven’t completed and be tempted to act on them. The list will give you permission to forget it for now. Stay focused on your room.
5. Once the timer goes off, take the clean up time to empty the ROUTE IT box, throw out the items in the TOSS IT box, store the STORE IT box, schedule a time to donate the GIVE IT box and to schedule the to-do’s on your list.