Accidental poisoning isn't just a kid thing!


Every 13 seconds, a poison control center in the United States answers a call about a possible poisoning. More than 90 percent of these exposures occur in the home. Poisoning can result from medicines, pesticides, household cleaning products, carbon monoxide and lead.  With summer in full swing and more people out in the yard and garden, it is especially important to think about poison control.   


Normally, we think of small children when talking about poison control, however with failing eyesight and poor habits this happens quite often to adults and the elderly.  Never store any chemical, cleaning product or other poisonous liquid in container that was used for something else – example: in an empty water or pop bottle, gallon jug, or empty cleaning supply bottle.  Also, make sure to follow the advice below to ventilate the area while using cleaners or chemicals.   


Protect your family against poisoning:

Make sure children don’t have access to peeling paint or chewable surfaces painted with lead-based paint. Use and store chemicals, household cleaning products and pesticides according to label instructions and out of reach of children. Take all medicines as directed and store out of reach of children. Consider using child safety locks on cupboards, storage areas, etc. Have gas appliances professionally installed, vented outside and checked every year for carbon monoxide leaks. Use fans and open windows to help ventilate the area when using cleaners and chemicals.

Do you know the Poison Control hotline??  Its 1-800-222-1222

Sources: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; National Safety Council