Abducted son taken into protective custody.

LEWISVILLE, Texas (AP) — An Oklahoma man suspected of killing his mother and abducting his 6-year-old son was captured with the unharmed child at a hotel near Dallas Wednesday morning.

Robert Connor III surrendered and his son, Declan, was taken into protective custody, said Capt. Jay Powell, a spokesman for Lewisville police.

Police believe Connor, 38, has ties to the Lewisville area, about 20 miles northwest of Dallas, Powell said. The officer did not elaborate.

An Amber Alert issued in Osage County, Okla., says Connor is wanted for homicide in Tuesday night's fatal shooting of the child's grandmother. Connor's aunt, Marilyn Lorenz, said Wednesday that the victim was the child's paternal grandmother.

Lorenz told The Associated Press Wednesday that Connor had been dealing with severe mental health issues and had not been taking prescribed medications.

"When he takes them, he's wonderful," said Lorenz, who hasn't slept since learning of the killing and abduction.

Lorenz was also waiting for word on whether the family dog, Goofy, was recovered in Texas early Wednesday. Lorenz said Connor took the family pet, which suffers from seizures and requires routine medication, in the abduction.

"I haven't heard anything about what happened to him," she said. "I want to know where the dog is."

Lorenz, who said she was still in shock, said she was thankful to law enforcement for recovering the child and her nephew.

"I know my nephew did a bad thing, but he's got some mental health issues," she said.

Investigators did not immediately provide a possible motive for the slaying at a home near Sand Springs, Okla., about 250 miles northeast of Lewisville.

Connor checked into the hotel overnight with the boy and did not answer calls to the room or to his cellphone. He was captured after police ordered him to surrender, Powell said.

"We put a remote microphone that let us yell at him through the door," Powell said. The boy will be placed with Child Protective Services, Powell said.

A vehicle linked to Connor was also recovered.