Voters wanting absentee forms mailed to them have a week left.

Voters in Pottawatomie County who want to have

absentee ballots mailed to them for the Oct. 8 McLoud

Schools I-1 Special School Bond should apply now, County

Election Board Secretary Diana Knight said today.

Although the County Election Board can accept applications for absentee ballots until 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Oct. 2, Knight urged voters who want to vote by absentee ballot to apply early.

Absentee ballot application forms are available at the

County Election Board office located at 14101 Acme Rd.

Shawnee Oklahoma.

The absentee ballot application forms also can be downloaded and printed from the Internet at

"At least two mail transactions must be made," Knight

said. "The County Election Board must mail the ballots to the voter and the voter must return the voted ballots by mail."

Ballots must be in the hands of the County Election

Board by 7 p.m. on election day in order to be counted.

Knight said that any registered voter may vote by

absentee ballot in any election in which he or she is

eligible to vote.

However, a voter must be registered and reside at an address within the geographical boundaries of

a school district or a municipality to be eligible to vote in school district or municipal elections.

It is not necessary to give a reason---or excuse---for voting absentee. "While anyone can vote absentee without giving a reason, the law still provides several excuses, and it is to the advantage of some voters to use one of them," Knight said.

By stating one of the following reasons on their

applications, these voters can activate some special

conditions that make it easier for them to use absentee

ballots. The reasons are:

-- Voters who are physically incapacitated and voters

who care for physically incapacitated persons who cannot be left unattended may vote absentee. They may apply only by mail, by fax, or by telegraph.

-- Voters who are confined to nursing homes in the

county may vote absentee.

An Absentee Voting Board actually goes to the nursing home a few days before the election, sets up a small polling place and allows these persons to vote under circumstances similar to those at a regular precinct polling place. They may apply only by mail

or by fax.

-- Military personnel and residents of the county

living overseas and the spouses and dependents of each

group are eligible to vote absentee without being


These voters may apply only by mail or by fax.

Military personnel should contact the Voting Service

Officers in their units for application forms and

additional information. Residents of Oklahoma living

overseas can obtain the same materials from any United

States military installation and from United States

Embassies and Consulates. Military personnel and overseas citizens also can download and print the appropriate application form from the Internet at