Some simple tips and things to investigate to save you cold feet and/or a high electric bill!
With a little bit of pre-planning and simple home repairs you can get your house ready for cooler temperatures with little cost or time. Here are some simple tips and things to investigate to save you cold feet and/or a high electric bill!
1. Stock up on filters and change them monthly.
2. Remove any items stacked around, on top of or in front of vents.
Doors & Windows
1. Look around the outside of the house for cracks and around pipes; seal them.
2. Install weather stripping or caulking around windows and doors.
3. Replace cracked window panes.
4. Check windows and doors inside the house for small air leaks around the edges.
5. Use weather stripping or caulking around windows and doors inside.
6. Use plastic sheeting to cover interior windows.
If a Dollar Bill can fit between the window and the window seal—it needs caulking!
1. Rake leaves and debris away from the foundation of the house.
2. Shut vents under the house.
3. Check the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
4. Insulate exposed pipes.
5. Unhook and drain garden hoses.
6. Take window air conditioning units out of the window and store.
Prepare an Emergency Kit
Buy indoor candles and matches.
· Write down numbers for utility companies.
· Buy back up batteries.
· Store extra bottled water and non-perishable foods.
· Blanket and first aid kit.
· Purchase a bag of sand or ice melt.