A nearly 10-foot-tall bear stood tall on Shawnee’s Main Street Thursday.
• A nearly 10-foot-tall bear stood tall on Shawnee’s Main Street Thursday.
• The bear was killed in Alaska by N.W. “Wilson” Baptist and brought to Shawnee in 1967 for display at his store, Baptist Athletic Supply on Main Street.
• With Baptist’s closing the store and selling part of the business to another company, he had nowhere to put the bear, but the Pottawatomie County Historical Society stepped in.
• The bear was moved Thursday to the Santa Fe Depot Museum, also on Main Street, where is will be on permanent display.
• Because the bear has never had an official name, plans are in the works to involve area grade schools in the process of naming the bear.