|
|
|
The Shawnee News-Star
  • Red Cross issues reminder

  • Be careful and safe when heating homes.
    • email print
  • The weather is starting to cool down across Oklahoma and the American Red Cross wants to remind the community to be safe when heating homes. Heating sources are the leading cause of house and apartment fires during the cold weather.
     
    Heat sources such as space heaters, fireplaces or wood and coal stoves can pose a fire hazard. To reduce the risk of heating related fires, the Red Cross recommends keeping anything that can burn such as paper, bedding or furniture, at least three feet away from heating equipment and fireplaces and to never leave these unattended.
     
    “Since Nov. 1, volunteers have responded to 10 house fires and one apartment fire across the region,” said Janienne Bella, Central and Western Oklahoma Regional CEO. “We tend to see more house fires as it cools down, so we encourage the community to follow some simple steps to help prevent fires.”
     
    The Red Cross wants the number of house fires not to rise as the temperatures drop, so it offers the following fire prevention tips:
    • All heaters need space. Keep all things that can burn (paper, matches, bedding, furniture, clothing, carpets, and rugs) at least three feet away from heating equipment.
    • Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended, and use a glass or metal fire screen to keep fire and embers in the fireplace.
    • Never use a cooking range or oven to heat your home.
    • Turn off portable space heaters every time you leave the room or go to sleep.
    • Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, and chimneys inspected annually by a professional, and cleaned if necessary.
    • If you must use a space heater, place it on a level, hard and nonflammable surface (such as ceramic tile floor), not on rugs, or carpets or near bedding or drapes. Plug power cords directly into outlets and never into an extension cord.
     
    For more Red Cross fire safety and preparedness information, visit www.redcross.org/homefires.
     
      • calendar