What it is: Construction of REACT Emergency Medical Service Substation
• Work is under way with pouring of a foundation for the new REACT EMS substation near Independence and Center Streets.
• In addition to the new Shawnee substation, a substation is also being built across the street from the post office at Park and Fifth Street in Tecumseh.
• Each station is being built to accommodate a two-person crew working 24-hour shifts and also will include a two-bay garage to house ambulances and other equipment.
• An office in the center of the building will be constructed as a safe room for EMS personnel.
• Once complete, crews from the old Main Street fire station, a building leased from the city, will move to the new facility on Center Street.
• REACT EMS, which also operates a station in Prague, has a full-time staff of 38 paramedics and emergency medical technicians, along with 16 who work part-time.
• On average, the REACT crews respond to more than 30 calls each day.