The Shawnee Wolves came back to defeat Byng in their first game on Friday before losing to Guthrie in the nightcap.

A late-inning comeback in their first game enabled the Shawnee Wolves to get a split of their two games on the second day of pool play at the Bill Tipton Invitational on Friday at Shawnee High School.

The Wolves rallied from a 6-2 deficit to defeat 4A No. 5 Byng 7-6 in eight innings in their first game of the day, but fell to Guthrie 11-2 in their second and final contest Friday.

The Wolves (20-2) took an early 2-0 lead against the Pirates with RBI hits from Jake Taylor and Landon Harper in the bottom of the first inning.

But Byng (15-6) scored two runs in each of the next three innings off Shawnee starter Eli Davis to take a 6-2 lead.

The Wolves would get one run back in the fourth inning when Josh Rolette hit a double off the right field wall with the bases loaded in the fourth inning. Teddy Robertson scored easily from third on the hit, but Logan Franklin was thrown out at home trying to score from second. Taylor then fouled out to end the inning.

Two innings later, Rolette would come up with the bases loaded again. Robertson led off the inning with a walk, and Davis and Austin Cooper followed with singles.

Rolette hit into a fielder’s choice, driving in Robertson to make it 6-4. Taylor then followed with the big blow, a two-run double to left field that one-hopped the wall and tied the game at six.

Meanwhile, Brock Maldonado, who came on in relief to start the fifth inning, kept the Pirates off the scoreboard, allowing three hits and striking out three in four innings of work.

“[Maldonado] did a great job,” Shawnee head coach Todd Boyer said. “I was proud of their effort. We faced some adversity and responded well.”

The Wolves would load the bases again in the bottom of the seventh, but couldn’t get the winning run home. But three straight singles by Rolette, Taylor and Maldonado loaded the bases with no outs in the eighth, and Harper came through with a fly ball over a drawn-in outfield to drive home Rolette with the winning run.

There would be no such comeback in game two, as a solid Guthrie lineup pounded out 11 hits and Bluejay starter Blaze Hastings kept the Wolves in check in the run-rule win.

Guthrie (18-4) scored three times in the first inning, including an RBI double by Hastings, before adding another run in the second and two more in the third to build a 6-0 lead.

“Coach [Jon] Chappell does a good job over there,” Boyer said. “They’ve been to the state tournament three of the last four years and they’ve got their three best pitchers back from last year.”

Davis got the Wolves on the scoreboard with an RBI single in the third, driving in A.J. Barron. Shawnee’s other run came in the fifth when Taylor drove in Cooper with a single down the left field line.

Guthrie added another run in the fifth and finished the game with four more in the sixth to put the game away.

“We were throwing some pups out there tonight,” Boyer said. “We’re getting a little low on pitching. [This game] was good for us; motivate us a little bit, maybe.”

Shawnee also suffered a big loss when Colin Robertson injured his thumb in a collision at first base during the win over Byng. Robertson is scheduled to see an orthopedist on Monday and his status moving forward is uncertain.

The Wolves finished 3-1 in pool play and will take on Clinton at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday at Shawnee High School.