A grass fire sparked by a resident burning trash near Tecumseh Thursday burned about 232 acres and threatened about 25 homes in the area, fire officials said.
The fire danger will be high again today, with the National Weather Service reporting today's risk is “near critical.”
Tecumseh Fire Chief Aaron Williams said the grass fire Thursday burned for nearly two miles.
It started when at resident in the 44600 block of Benson Park Road was burning trash, Williams said, and resulted in about 40 round bales of hay burning. He said the fire threatened as many as 25 homes and it took seven different fire departments and 36 firefighters to get that fire under control.
“Forecasts are still leaning toward a dry winter. Residents need to monitor the weather conditions before they burn,” Williams said.
The fire chief also reminds residents that “state law dictates that if a trash service is available for your location then it is illegal to burn household trash.”
The Oklahoma Forestry Service reports there will be very high to extreme fire conditions today so extreme caution is urged.