Lady Pirates takes control of 2A. Lady Wolves climbing in 5A.
Most teams have been off for the holiday break, but the area girls basketball teams that were in action improved their positions in the rankings.
• Dale’s Lady Pirates remain No. 1 in 2A Basketball. After winning their second straight Bertha Frank Teague Classic championship, the Lady Pirates received 57 of 60 first place votes. Dale beat Class B No 1 Lomega, Class A No. 1 Seiling and 4A No. 3 Ada en route to winning the trophy for the second straight year. To demonstrate the respect the Lady Pirates receive from the voters, none of the teams they beat dropped even one spot in the rankings. Dale hosts 2A No. 18 Luther tonight before heading to the Kingston Tournament on Thursday.
• Shawnee Girls Basketball, No. 6 in 5A. The Lady Wolves beat 5A Southeast, 4A Elgin and 6A Edmond North to win the Duncan Holiday Classic last week. They climbed from No. 7 to No. 6 by passing Woodward. The defending 5A state champions struggled at the Bertha Frank Teague Classic last week and fell behind the Lady Wolves. The Lady Wolves are off until Jan. 13 since the boys’ team is headed to Ada for a tournament this week. The game on the 13th is an important home game against No. 10 Carl Albert.
• Shawnee Boys Basketball, No. 8 in 5A – The Wolves held onto the No. 8 ranking in 5A after being off for the break. The Wolves are back in action Jan. 5 at the Ada Tournament against No. 17 Durant.
• Shawnee Girls Swimming, No. 5 in 5A. The Lady Wolves are back in action on Jan. 5 against Mid-Del and Carl Albert.
• Shawnee Boys Swimming, No. 10 in 5A – The Wolves stayed at No. 10 this week. They are back in action Thursday.
• Shawnee Wrestling 5A No. 6 Duals and No. 8 Tournament. The Wolves had a good showing in action over the break but the rankings were not updated Monday. The Wolves are back in action Jan. 3 at home against 4A No. 14 Chickasha.
• Chandler Lady Lions, 3A No. 12. Chandler fell from No. 10 to No. 12 after a loss to Jones on Dec. 19. The Lady Lions are back in action Thursday in the Ripley Tournament with a rematch against Jones.
• Asher’s Lady Indians lost to No. 4 Varnum on Dec. 19 and that loss dropped them to No. 10 in Class B. The Lady Indians were No. 8 before the loss. They are back in action tonight at Stuart and then begin play in the Earlsboro Tournament Thursday.
• Dale’s Pirates dropped one spot from No. 4 to No. 5 over the break. The Pirates still received one first place vote. Dale’s next game is tonight against Luther before they head to Kingston for a tournament. Kingston beat the Pirates in the OBU Bison Classic earlier in December.
• Earlsboro stayed at No. 3 in Class B over the break. They play the Vanoss JV in the opening round of the Jim Walling Classic Thursday.