After responding to a call concerning a grass fire Sunday, Pink firefighters were hit with another issue — they also ended up attending to a medical situation at the same location.

After responding to a call concerning a grass fire Sunday, Pink firefighters were hit with another issue — they also ended up attending to a medical situation at the same location.

Pink Volunteer Fire Department's Assistant Fire Chief Doyle Stansell and his partner — and wife, Starla — were the first unit to the scene of a grass fire between U.S. Highway 102 and Stephens Road, south of U.S. Highway 9.

“When we arrived, the fire was close to a vehicle in the driveway and near the home,” he said.

Starla was soon hailed by a woman alerting her to another situation — a man had collapsed just outside of the home.

Doyle said he believed the 48-year-old resident had been fighting the fire before responders arrived.

“He likely became exhausted,” Doyle said.

When Starla, who also is a nurse, reached the man he was unconscious but breathing, Doyle said.

“As soon as she saw there was a medical issue at play, she called REACT Emergency Medical Service (EMS), and also called their department for another unit to bring medical equipment they did not have with them — and to fight the fire so Starla and Doyle could attend to the man.

Before long, Capt. Scott Shaw arrived and began working on the blaze; then firefighter Brett Wood came on the scene with the medical equipment.

Doyle said at some point the man in distress stopped breathing and he and his wife traded off providing cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR); Starla eventually had to use an automated external defibrillator (AED) on him, Doyle said.

“She had to shock him three times,” he said. “At the same time the back of the house was burning.”

About 10 minutes later, he said, REACT arrived and took the patient to the Oklahoma Heart Hospital.

The time between Starla's response to the man's condition and the ambulance's arrival was likely between 20 and 30 minutes, Doyle said.

“Before REACT left they reported his stats looked good,” Doyle said.

Doyle, a 13-year veteran of firefighting, said the two-fold experience was a first for him.

“I'd like to thank Bethel Acres Fire Department for their help,” he said. “They checked for hotspots.”

The Bethel Acres unit inspected the home with a thermal imaging camera to be sure the fire had been thoroughly doused, he said.

There was some external damage to the outside of the home before the fire was extinguished, he said.

You can reach Vicky O. Misa at (405) 214-3962.