The Salvation Army will begin taking Angel Tree applications for Christmas assistance in Shawnee for Pottawatomie, Seminole and Lincoln county residents.
Low-income families with children ages 12 and younger can apply for Christmas gifts for children and food boxes. Seniors age 65 or older who need food assistance for Christmas can also apply.
Sign up can be done from 10 a.m. to noon and from 1 to 4 p.m. starting Tuesday, Oct. 10, through Friday, Oct. 13. Those will be the only days sign-up will be available. Sign ups can be done at the Salvation Army in Shawnee at 200 E. Ninth St.
Families should not bring children to registration, or they will not be allowed to register.
All applicants must bring the following:
• Photo ID for the head of household (driver’s license or state ID);
• Proof of residence: (One of the following) utility bill, phone bill, rental agreement, mail that matches ID with zip codes;
• Proof of household income: (One of the following) paycheck stub, unemployment documentation, food stamps documentation, any documentation that shows how the household is maintained;
• Proof of all monthly expenses (rent receipts, utility bills, etc.);
• Proof of children: (One of the following) TANF papers, birth certificate, shot records that show DOB, any legal form that has your name and the child’s name and DOB (Social Security cards will not be accepted as proof that this is your child);
• Proof that child or children has same address as head of household such as Medicaid form, report cards, shot records or lease agreement;
• Clothing/shoe sizes for all children (12 and younger);
• Gift suggestions for all children (12 and younger).
Gifts are purchased at the discretion of sponsors; the Salvation Army only provides sponsors suggestions. It is ideal to keep suggested gifts at $30 or less.
For more information, call the Salvation Army at 405-275-2243.