The Oklahoma City Zoo and Dr Pepper searched for designs to display at the Zoo during the Dr Pepper Vending Machine Art Contest. Students in grades K through 12 were invited to enter for a chance to win one of two $500 savings bonds courtesy of First Security Bank and have their artwork displayed on one of two Dr Pepper vending machines located on Zoo grounds. The contest ended March 24.
This year’s contest theme was “Year of the Frog,” which coincides with the Association of Zoos and Aquarium’s (AZA) year-long effort to promote amphibian conservation. In addition to addressing the “Year of the Frog” theme, each contest entry was required to include a bilingual message in English and Spanish.
Dr Pepper Vending Machine Art Contest entries were judged in two categories: K-5th grade and 6th-12th grade. Winners were announced April 12 during the Zoo’s Party for the Planet celebration.
The statewide contest ran for about a month and 1,100 entries were received. Winners were invited to attend the celebration.
Winners of 2008 Dr Pepper Vending Machine Art Contest
• Grand Prize (K-5): Sawyer Spurgin, Shawnee / Mrs. Turner’s second-grade class, South Rock Creek Elementary
• Grand Prize (6-12): Laura Bentley, Tecumseh / Mr. Johnson’s eighth-grade class, Tecumseh Middle School
Each Grand Prize recipient received a $500 savings bond courtesy of First Security Bank, a pizza party and Zoomobile program for their class and their artwork is on display as the cover design on a Dr Pepper vending machine located on Zoo grounds.
• First Place: Lisa Toomey, Elgin / Mrs. Crittendon’s eighth-grade class, Elgin Middle School
Toomey received a $50 Zoo gift card and her poster will be on display at the Zoo.
• AZA’s Choice Award: Sara Boyd, Edmond / Mrs. Tracy’s fifth-grade class, Centennial Elementary
Boyd won an animal painting for her school and her poster will be on display at the Zoo.
Zoo Director’s Honor Roll Awards — Each winner received a certificate and their posters are on display at the Zoo.
• Top Toad: Nealie Ngo, Oklahoma City / Mrs. Bright’s sixth grade class, Eastlake Elementary
• Fantastic Frog: Kayla Johnson, Oklahoma City / Mr. Swank’s eighth grade class, Independence Charter Middle School
• Awesome Amphibian: Brett Brown, Stilwell / Mrs. Smith’s fifth-grade class, Maryetta School
• Super Salamander: Bailey Bryant, Checotah / Mrs. Myers’s sixth-grade class, Checotah Middle School
• Most Ribbiting: Kaitlyn Martinez, Pauls Valley / Mrs. McGee’s ninth-grade class, Pauls Valley Junior High
• Friends of Frogs: David Pham, Edmond / Mrs. Gull’s eighth-grade class, Deer Creek Middle School
• Tadpole Salute: Sydney Swafford, Moore / kindergarten homeschool student
• Number One Newt: Emily Conrad, Cashion / Mrs. Carroll’s third-grade class, Cashion Schools
• Lily Pad Praise: Kyndle Kirby, Mannford / Mrs. Carnes’s third-grade class, Cleveland Intermediate