An 18-year-old suspect from Asher has been arrested and jailed in the shooting death of an East Central University student Thursday morning in south Pottawatomie County.

An 18-year-old suspect from Asher has been arrested and jailed in the shooting death of an East Central University student Thursday morning in south Pottawatomie County.

Sheriff Mike Booth said Jerrod Murray is jailed in the Pottawatomie County Public Safety Center on a first-degree murder complaint. Formal charges have not been filed.

He is accused in the shooting death of Generro Sanchez, 18, Booth said.

Both the suspect and victim were ECU students, but it appears from the investigation there's no apparent motive in the case, Booth said, although Murray allegedly admitted to investigators that he'd been planning to kill someone for the past three weeks, according to the arrest affidavit.

The victim's body was found in a ditch along Substation Road, which is located south of U.S. 177 and SH 59.

Asher police reported some type of suspicious activity in that area and it was about 2:34 a.m. Thursday when Deputy Justin Abbott called Undersheriff Travis Palmer about the discovery of the body, later identified as Sanchez.

As Palmer was responding, he heard radio traffic about a possible suspect seen walking north on U.S. 177.

With tribal police as backup, Palmer located Murray near Sing Road and asked him if he had a gun.

Murray said, "No sir, it's in the truck and I am the guy you're after," the arrest affidavit reads.

It was about 3:12 a.m. and Palmer asked Murray why deputies would be looking for him.

Murray responded with, "Cause of the guy I shot and put in the ditch on Substation Road," according to the affidavit.

Investigators transported Murray to Shawnee for an interview. The affidavit shows Murray admitted that he made a plan to kill someone about three weeks ago but didn't know who he'd kill or when, but knew he would do it around Substation Road because he knew that area.

According to the interview, Murray allegedly used a .40-caliber firearm that was stolen from a house in Asher.

The affidavit shows Murray claims he picked the victim from East Central because he "didn't have many friends" and "wouldn't be missed so quick." Murray then told investigators he wanted to do the killing on Tuesday but Sanchez wasn't in his dorm room. According to affidavit, Murray only knew the victim by his first name.

The affidavit alleges that Murray asked Sanchez to drive him to Walmart for $20. Once they were in Sanchez's truck, Murray explained to Palmer that he pulled a gun and told Sanchez to drive to the Substation Road area five miles north of Asher.

"He said the victim was begging for him not to kill him," the affidavit reads.

When they reached Substation Road and were traveling at about 10 mph, Murray told investigators he shot Sanchez, but missed, with the bullet busting the glass. Murray shot Sanchez a second time, according to the affidavit, with that bullet hitting the victim on the right side of the head.

At that point, Murray indicated he jumped out of the truck and ran around to open the door to get the victim to fall out, but then the truck rolled off the road and stopped against a tree, the document reads.

Murray allegedly pushed Sanchez onto the ground, with Booth reporting there was a steep hill in that area.

Murray allegedly told Palmer during the interview that he wasn't sure Sanchez was dead so he shot him a second time in the head before he "rolled the victim down into a ditch," where he covered him up with leaves and sticks, the affidavit alleges.

As he covered the body, he said a car approached the area and the driver stopped.

Murray allegedly told that passerby that he had fallen asleep and then asked for a ride to his grandmother's home in Asher, the document shows.

The Good Samaritan driver apparently took Murray to Asher, then it is believed that Murray was allegedly walking northbound on U.S. 177 back to the crime scene when Palmer found him, Booth said.

"We're lucky there wasn't a second victim," Booth said.

The affidavit shows that Murray said he felt no remorse for the killing.

While both of the teens were students at ECU, Booth said they have no motive for the crime other than the fact that Murray allegedly "wanted to go kill somebody."

Deputies have recovered the reported firearm in the case, Booth said.

Sheriff's deputies, along with the District Attorney's Violent Crimes and Drugs Task Force, tribal police and Asher police, worked this case.

Their investigative reports will be turned over to the district attorney's office for consideration of any formal charges.

Sanchez was reported to be from Stuart, Okla.

Watch for updates.