Despite water quickly turning to ice on the rooftop, Shawnee firefighters doused flames at a house fire Thursday afternoon.

Despite water quickly turning to ice on the rooftop, Shawnee firefighters doused flames at a house fire Thursday afternoon.

Shawnee firefighters responded about 3:07 p.m. to a residential fire in the 500 block of North Douglas Ave., just north of Highland Street.

Battalion Chief Jim VanAntwerp said a passerby saw smoke and reported that blaze.

Fire crews arrived to find no one was home so they made entry to begin battling the blaze in the wood frame house. A large attic and different gables on the roof did affect how crews fought that blaze, he said.

The fire, which started on the main level of the home and spread to the attic area, was likely sparked by an electrical problem, he said.

VanAntwerp said the occupants of the home had been doing some work to the house, and reported they had just turned electricity back on at the residence on Thursday.

“The attic has extensive fire damage,” the battalion chief said, adding the rest of the home sustained water damage.

The fire displaced the occupants and the American Red Cross responded to assist them, VanAntwerp said.

Below freezing conditions were a factor as crews worked the fire scene.

“Water was instantly freezing on the roof,” VanAntwerp said, adding firefighters on the roof used caution so no falls or injuries were reported.

Earlier in the day, Shawnee firefighters also responded to a small fire on the roof of a business building at 8000 N. Harrison.