A Fire Safety Open House was held Thursday at Shawnee Fire Station No. 1.

A Fire Safety Open House was held Thursday at Shawnee Fire Station No. 1.

Firefighters, along with representatives of the American Red Cross, spent time providing tips and demonstrations to help promote safety and teach important life lessons.

From practicing an exit during a home fire, to watching for items on a stove that could cause problems while cooking, the event was geared for all ages.

Using a simulator, Shawnee Firefighter Steven Scarberry gave fire extinguisher demonstrations to one family, with all three children getting a chance to learn.

Firefighter Matt Abel placed items like a roll of paper towels and pot holders on a stove so see if people could point out the dangers. He also explained safety measures to take while cooking and keeping combustibles away from the stove.