Man sentenced to 15 years in prison for death of taxi driver

TULSA, Okla. (AP) — A man has been sentenced to 15 years in prison for the 2015 shooting death of a Tulsa taxi driver.

The Tulsa World reports that the sentence for 36-year-old Adan Mora-Ramos was handed down Thursday in Rogers County District Court as part of a plea deal.

Mora-Ramos was charged as an accessory to first-degree murder in the death of 38-year-old Rafael Hernandez-Torres. Hernandez-Torres' body was found in the trunk of his partially submerged taxi in the Caney River in April 2015. He'd been shot nine times in the chest and back.

Mora-Ramos was apprehended by U.S. marshals after his fingerprint was discovered on beer cans near the scene.

Roman Medrano was also arrested for first-degree murder in connection to the shooting. The 41-year-old is scheduled for sentencing in July.


Judge denies second recusal motion in Perry child abuse case

PERRY, Okla. (AP) — An Oklahoma judge won't recuse himself from a Perry school child abuse case for a second time, even though his daughter-in-law worked with the defendants.

Noble County Judge Nikki G. Leach denied District Attorney Brian Hermanson's request to remove himself at a hearing Wednesday for former Upper Elementary School principal Kenda Miller, The Oklahoman ( ) reported.

Leach previously denied a similar motion in March for former math teacher Jeffrey Sullins.

Miller and Sullins are charged with misdemeanors for allegedly failing to promptly report child abuse after several girls levied accusations against teaching assistant Arnold Cowen. Cowen is now facing 18 counts of lewd or indecent proposals or acts on a child.

Prosecutors said Leach's daughter-in-law "directly recruited" Cowen to volunteer at the school, and that the judge has shown bias to Sullins and Miller.

But Miller's attorney, Cheryl Ramsey, said she didn't see a need for the judge to recuse himself.

"He does not know Miss Miller at all," Ramsey said.

The judge's daughter-in-law, Lucinda Leach, teaches fourth-grade science and social studies at the elementary school.

Lucinda Leach testified Wednesday that Cowen volunteered in her classroom about four years before the 2016-17 year. She said after receiving permission to find a volunteer she asked a church secretary to email congregation members to weigh interest.

"I don't think that's recruiting," the judge said. "I think it's far from it."

Hermanson said he plans to appeal the judge's ruling.

Judge Leach did recuse himself from Cowen's case. Another judge has ordered Cowen to stand trial.


Frozen tuna recalled after testing showed hepatitis A virus

By The Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Some imported frozen tuna cubes and steaks are being recalled after testing showed they could be contaminated with the hepatitis A virus.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration says Hawaii-based Hilo Fish Company told the agency in May it had recalled yellowfin tuna that tested positive for the virus. Hilo says the fish was sourced from Sustainable Seafood Company in Vietnam and Santa Cruz Seafood Inc. in the Philippines.

Some products were distributed to retail locations and restaurants in California, Texas and Oklahoma.

The FDA said Thursday no reports of illness have been linked to the fish.

Hilo Fish Company's recalled products include 8-ounce steaks with label code 627152, and tuna cubes in 15-pound cases with label code 705342.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says hepatitis A is a liver disease that can be transmitted through food or skin-to-skin contact.


Oklahoma woman formally sentenced in corpse-slashing case

TULSA, Okla. (AP) — An Oklahoma woman has been formally sentenced to 16 years in prison for slashing the corpse of her boyfriend's ex-girlfriend.

A Tulsa County judge sentenced 29-year-old Shaynna Sims Thursday, who was convicted in April on five charges related to the mutilation of Tabatha Lynch's body in a casket at a Tulsa mortuary.

Lynch had died in April 2015 of natural causes at age 38.

Defense attorneys said Sims was "not in the right state of mind" because she was embarrassed and angry that her boyfriend had an affair with Lynch.

Witnesses testified that Sims said she was a makeup artist who wanted to help prepare Lynch's body for a funeral viewing.

A jury recommended a total of 16 years in prison, which Judge Kelly Greenough ruled will be served consecutively.