A judge ruled Thursday there is enough evidence for two suspects charged in the murder of Tecumseh Police Officer Justin Terney to stand trial and prosecutors are now seeking the death penalty for Byron James Shepard, 36.

A  judge ruled Thursday there is enough evidence for two suspects charged in the murder of Tecumseh Police Officer Justin Terney to stand trial and prosecutors are now seeking the death penalty for Byron James Shepard, 36.

Wearing jail oranges, Shepard, charged with first-degree murder, along with Brooklyn Danielle Williams, 23, who is charged with second-degree murder, appeared in Pottawatomie County District Court for their combined preliminary hearing.

At its conclusion, Special District Judge David Cawthon found there is enough evidence for both to stand trial, so he set an arraignment date of Nov. 29 for Williams and Dec. 13 for Shepard.

As soon as Cawthon made his ruling, District Attorney Richard Smothermon handed Shepard and his attorney, Mitchell Solomon, a Bill of Particulars outlining the state's request to impose the death penalty against Shepard in this case.

Smothermon, in that filing, said Shepard meets five of eight aggravating circumstances that warrant the death penalty, including having previous felony convictions, committing a murder to avoid arrest, being a threat to society and the fact that Terney was a peace officer in the performance of his duties.

In the packed courtroom, a total of eight witnesses testified about the case, including the events surrounding the traffic stop in which Terney was shot on the night of March 26, 2017. Terney, 22, died from his gunshot wounds the following morning.

Shepard was Williams’ passenger in a sedan on the night of the traffic stop and he is accused of causing the death of Officer Terney by inflicting mortal wounds when firing a Springfield XD semi-automatic 9 mm pistol into the abdomen and leg of the officer during the traffic stop.

Among the first few witnesses was Tecumseh Police Lt. Mike Mallinson, who arrived with another officer on Terney's traffic stop scene, where Shepard, a fugitive, was giving false names to Terney.

Mallinson testified the suspect ran from Terney, who gave chase, and spoke about how he also ran into the darkness that night, where he heard several gunshots exchanged then moved in a tactical fashion.

He found Terney on the ground next to a bale of hay, he testified, and Shepard was on the ground screaming from his injuries.

Mallinson, who fought back emotions while on the witness stand, said he told Terney that help was on the way; Mallinson said he kept talking to the injured officer while maintaining cover on the injured defendant.

Mallinson testified that Terney told him, “Mike, I think I'm going out.”

Part of the preliminary hearing testimony also referenced Terney's dash cam video, which captured the traffic stop before Shepard fled, then audio of events and gunshots going on in the nearby treeline.

Testimony indicated Williams stayed in the vehicle during the traffic stop and after Shepard fled. Tecumseh Police Officer Alana Colan, who was riding with Lt. Mallinson that evening, testified that they arrived for backup and she stayed at the vehicle with Williams as Mallinson followed Terney's foot pursuit into a treeline.

She testified about hearing Officer Terney warn the suspect he was going to be tased and also that she heard the taser, then heard the taser zap again without deployment, followed by four to five gunshots.

She heard screaming that she said didn't come from Terney or Mallinson, then, over the police radio, she heard Terney say, “'Central, I've been shot, Central, I've been hit,'” she testified.

Others who testified Thursday morning included a Sac and Fox Nation police officer who collected some evidence in the case, as well as a Sapulpa police detective who extracted evidence from cell phones. A Tulsa man also took the witness stand regarding the gun used in the officer's murder, testifying that the gun was stolen from his home back in 2016 and a report was made to Tulsa police.

Other witnesses included a district attorney's investigator who compiled the 133-page report in this case, as well as an Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation special agent who interviewed Williams in the days after the incident, along with another district attorney's investigator who interviewed Williams and testified about text messages exchanged between Shepard and Williams.

In that line of questioning, text messages extracted from their two phones were outlined, with prosecutors establishing that Williams knew for a significant amount of time that Shepard had outstanding warrants and was a fugitive. Some of Shepard's text messages to Williams indicated that going back to jail wasn't an option, with other text message threats also made toward law enforcement. Smothermon told the judge that Williams is just as culpable as Shepard in Terney's death.

That line of testimony also revealed that Williams concealed Shepard from law enforcement and wasn't truthful to law enforcement in two different interviews after the shooting.

There was a heavy law enforcement presence for extra security at the courthouse during the hearing. Terney's fellow officers from the Tecumseh Police Department also attended, many of them sitting on the front row on one side of the courtroom.

In addition to the murder charge, Shepard also was bound over for trial on a charge of knowingly concealing stolen property relating to the stolen firearm used in the homicide, along with a charge of possession of controlled dangerous substance, methamphetamine, which officers found on his person that night en route to the hospital.

Even with a joint preliminary hearing, each defendant was assisted by their own attorney. Williams was represented by Attorney Larry Monard.

Shepard will remained jailed with no bond, while bail for Williams remains at $250,000.