Crews continue work on Shawnee's Fire Station No. 2, at 1401 N. Bryan St., expecting a finish date mid-May.

Crews continue work on Shawnee's Fire Station No. 2, at 1401 N. Bryan St., expecting a finish date mid-May.

Repeated mold issues — caused by ongoing water leaks and drainage problems — had the city facing a decision whether to repair the site or remodel altogether.

Choosing to tear the building down to the pre‐engineered “red‐iron” structure and concrete slab, expansion was designed to improve the apparatus bay and update the fire station from that point.

The initial projected date for substantial completion of the project was April 2, but the excessive rain the area received in August and September pushed that date to May 18, Shawnee Fire Chief Dru Tischer said.

“We are now almost six months into the construction phase of the project and much the work is now complete,” he said.

A complete inspection of the exposed structure was done and the deficiencies from the original construction that were noted during that inspection have now been corrected, Tischer said.

“This was one of our biggest concerns going into the construction phase,” he said, “and it did take longer than expected as many of the structural pieces that were missing from the original construction were difficult for the contractor to secure.”

Tischer said the storm shelter for the firefighters assigned to the station and the concrete pad for the roughly 1,000 square-foot addition on the east side of the building are now complete and the dedicated water line for the fire sprinkler system has been installed.

“Also, the structure for the entry tower on the southwest corner of the building has been erected and work has begun on framing the interior walls,” Tischer said. “The contractor expects delivery of the roof panels and insulation next week and once the roof and walls are installed weather will become much less of a factor.” Tischer said the contractor did inadvertently damage a few of the post-tension cables in the concrete pad while relocating some of the original plumbing.

“We are working closely with the general contractor on this issue and they are consulting with a sub-contractor that specializes in the type of repair that will be required,” he said. “Their repair plan will be approved by our structural engineer before they move forward with the repair and we are working with the architects and the general contractor to ensure all work done on the structure prior to the repair being completed is approved by the structural engineer.”

Tischer said the general contractor has assured the department that this repair will not extend that completion date and that the entire project is still on schedule.

“We are working very closely with them and the architects to ensure the project is completed in a timely manner while emphasizing that everything is done correctly and according to the plan,” Tischer said.

Overall, Tischer said he feels very good about the plan.

“The end product will produce our stated goal of providing a fire station that will serve our community and fire department for a minimum of 40 years,” he said.