Kittie Rush, a black woman weighing no more than 80 pounds, stabbed Carrie Collins, well-known in police circles on September 28, 1913. The attack was directly into the heart, killing Collins instantly. The killing was the result of the Rush woman winning the affections of Charles Collins, supposedly the husband of Carrie.


Kittie Rush, a black woman weighing no more than 80 pounds, stabbed Carrie Collins, well-known in police circles on September 28, 1913. The attack was directly into the heart, killing Collins instantly. The killing was the result of the Rush woman winning the affections of Charles Collins, supposedly the husband of Carrie.

The incident took place at George Butler’s place on south Union Avenue at about 10:45 P.M. The slayer was arrested soon after by Assistant Chief of Police Jerry Spann and Detective T.J. “Tully” Darden, at the home of Lawson Oats on south Philadelphia Street.

Eye witnesses said Rush was at the Butler place when Collins came in the place. As soon as Collins saw the other woman, she exited and came back with a knife. She and Rush clinched, and the latter stabbed the other twice in the chest. The Collins woman fell back with a curse on her lips and expired.

After the affray, a call was put in to police station. Spann and Fire Chief L.A. Brown were the first on the scene. Chief of Police Charlie Hawk, County Attorney Sargent P. Freeling, and several of the city police arrived shortly after.

The Collins woman was one of the most notorious ladies in the city. She was a “bad fighter” and most others were afraid of her. She was a frequent prisoner at the city jail and had been fined many times in court. Rush pleaded not guilty when arraigned before Judge Paul Walker, who set her preliminary for the following Friday.

After the hearing on October 3, after a dozen of the prosecution’s witnesses at the preliminary, Judge Walker released Rush. The testimony of all the witnesses was to the effect that Collins had attacked her with a knife. It was clearly established in the minds of the county attorney and the court that it was a case of self-defense.


Coach D.T. Stiles of the McAlester High School football team protested the game played at Shawnee on October 11, 1913. The locals won the game, 102-0, and McAlester was clearly outplayed, as the scoreboard indicated.

Coach Stiles admitted that Shawnee had his team outweighed by about 25 pounds per man but had at least four players who were violating the High School Association rules by playing. He claimed they were past the age of 21. Not only that, but the Shawnee coach was the referee, while coaching his team during the game also. The game was played on a muddy field, which gave the heavier men a decided advantage and took the spirit out of the McAlester team.

He said McAlester was entitled to one touchdown, which officials denied them for an alleged off-sides play. This happened because the officials did not understand McAlester’s silent signals. It was on a forward pass immediately after the kickoff. Ray Evans, Shawnee quarterback, was put out of the game when he and McAlester’s center collided when diving for the ball.


The football season of 1913 was by far the most glorious in the school’s young history. When Coach Ward Goble first called the few remaining veterans and new recruits together, it seemed that the outlook for the season looked bleak. However, the squad was not discouraged and set to hard training.

The season opened with a game at Ada against East Central Normal School, won by Shawnee, 12-0; This tuned the boys up for the home-opener against McAlester, won by the mazing score of 102-0, on Oct 11. Two weeks later the team was set to meet the ever-powerful Oklahoma City team. There was much hype before the game, hearing that Oklahoma City intended to send Shawnee home “licked.”

The local newspaper reported that Shawnee “bearded the lion in his den,” and how the locals came home singing and shouting that the score was 9-6 in their favor. On October 31, the team hosted Norman. Many felt that the championship may hang in the balance of this game. This was considered as one of the most hard-fought games of the year and finished as a 6-6 tie. A week later, the locals traveled to Guthrie for a game that was considered a tough test ahead of time, but Shawnee won easily, 27-0. The following week, Enid came to town and put up a good fight, losing to Shawnee by a tight score of 7-3. The regular season closed with a home game against Chickasha, considered as one of Shawnee’s top rivals. Shawnee had lost to them for six consecutive years, but the locals “made them like it,” 25-0.

With this being the last game on the schedule, the players broke training and went back to their ordinary way of living. They considered themselves as the state champions, but the State Athletic Board said they must play Tulsa for the championship. No one paid much attention to this game because Tulsa did not have a great reputation on the season against the top teams. Nevertheless, they received orders to play Tulsa in Oklahoma City on December 5, for the state championship.

The game appeared to be in Shawnee’s hands early. The only concern was that Shawnee had several players who were injured before the contest. With three minutes left, Shawnee led 13-7. At that time, Tulsa intercepted a pass and ran the length of the field for a touchdown, which gave them a lead for the first time. They scored again before the end of the game for a 21-13 victory and the mythical Oklahoma state championship.

Shawnee High School finished with a (6-1-1) record, the best in school history. Their short history in football had now accumulated an overall record of (20-22-4). Members of the team were” Ray Evans at quarterback; Ira Downey, Ralph Fauble, and Earl Lowry at halfbacks; John Wilson was captain and fullback; Bryan Pace, Charles Price, and Fred Rose were ends; Charles Higgins, Ross Johnston, and Leo Reed played tackle; the guards were Arthur Langston and George Shorney; and Claude Sale was the center. The team was coached by Ward Gobel in his first of two years with Shawnee,

(These stories and hundreds more will appear in Volume One of “Redbud City.” It is currently being printed and should be ready for publication and distribution any day now. There will be only 500 copies printed, so be sure and get your pre-paid copy to guarantee your possession. The pre-pay cost is $50, plus tax; while the cost jumps to $55 when the books arrive. Contact Clyde Wooldridge at 918-470-3728 or the Pottawatomie County Historical Society at 405-275-8412 for your copy. You may also purchase a flash drive at any time that is now available. You may also go online to the Society’s website and purchase from their bookstore.)