Since 2001 the Shawnee Educational Foundation has presented a Hall of Fame Award to a former student of a Shawnee area school. Beginning in 2014 the Foundation created a new award, The Max Brattin Award for Excellence in Education and Community. The criteria differ for each award and are described in more detail below. Nomination materials are available at Michael Cappo Farmers Insurance, 9th & Beard in Downtown Shawnee. Those interested may submit a nomination sheet for one or both awards.
All completed nominations must be returned to the Shawnee Educational Foundation, PO Box 3521, Shawnee, OK 74802-3521 and must be postmarked by Monday, October 29, 2018 to be considered for the awards which will be presented at our annual banquet on Tuesday, February 19, 2019. Once the nomination is made, all information becomes the property of the Shawnee Educational Foundation. If not initially selected, the individuals nominated will continue to be considered over a period of five years, including the initial year of their nomination.
As adopted by the Board, eligibility and criteria for each award are as follows:
For The Shawnee Educational Foundation Hall of Fame Award:
(1) An individual who attended, for some period of time at any grade level, a public school served by the Shawnee Educational Foundation, which includes all Shawnee Public Schools, Grove School, Pleasant Grove School and South Rock Creek School. The nominee does not need to be a graduate of any of these particular schools.
(2) The nominee has achieved excellence and distinction in their chosen field of study or career and has received recognition for their achievements.
(3) The nominee is a person of integrity, is respected in their profession, and would bring pride to the community and to the Foundation.
(4) All living inductees must attend the Hall of Fame banquet to accept the award.
(5) If the award is posthumous, a family member must attend the Hall of Fame banquet to accept the award.
For The Max Brattin Award for Excellence in Education and Community:
(1) An individual who has made a positive impact to the public education of students within the community served by the Shawnee Educational Foundation, which includes all Shawnee Public Schools, Grove School, Pleasant Grove School and South Rock Creek School.
(2) The nominee must embody the criteria that represent the legacy of Max Brattin, who was a long-time economics professor at Oklahoma Baptist University and for many years volunteered his service to the Shawnee Educational Foundation. The criteria include:
(a) Selflessness in service to public education;
(b) Excellence and innovation in service to public education;
(c) A person of integrity, respected by peers and community, who would bring pride to the community and the Shawnee Educational Foundation.
(3) All living inductees must attend the Hall of Fame banquet to accept the award.
(4) If the award is posthumous, a family member must attend the Hall of Fame banquet to accept the award.
Past Hall of Fame Award recipients include (2001) Robert H. Henry, (2002) Bill Ford, (2003) Dr. Tony Thomas, (2004) Dr. Larry Dinkins, (2005) Glen McLaughlin, (2006) Haylor H. Fisher, Jr., (2007) William David Brown, (2008) Dr. Kimberly Vogt Fisher, (2009) Dr. Deborah Hopkins Blue and Robert A. Washington, (2010) Frank Kennon, (2011) Governor Brad Henry, (2012) Ronny Jones, (2013) John Howard, (2014) Justice Douglas Combs, (2015) David E. Rainbolt, (2016) Krista Weedman Tippett, (2017) Dr. John Michael Parrish and (2018) Gary Rose.
Past Max Brattin Award for Excellence in Education and Community Recipients include (2014) Max Brattin (posthumously), (2015) Paul M. Milburn, (2016) Marilyn Bradford, (2017) Larry Walker, and (2018) April Craig Stobbe.