Felony cases are now proceeding through Pottawatomie County District Court for two teenagers charged with second-degree murder in the October shooting death of McLoud sophomore Kaylen Thomas.

After reviewing evidence in the case file involving her death, Pottawatomie County District Attorney Allan Grubb has amended charges by increasing one teen's case from manslaughter to second-degree murder and charging another teen as a youthful offender instead of his case staying in the juvenile court system.

The two teenagers — Isabella Irene Sabas, 15, and Alano Marcelo Silverhorn, 17, are charged as youthful offenders in the death of Thomas, 16, who died Oct. 5 after being shot in the head at a classmate's house in McLoud.

Back in November, Sabas was charged by previous District Attorney Richard Smothermon's office with first-degree manslaughter for recklessly handling the firearm that discharged, while the 17-year-old boy also involved in the case was charged as a juvenile. With his case in juvenile court, his name and other information was not publicly released.

“After taking office January 7th, I carefully reviewed the evidence in the file and discussed the circumstances with law enforcement officers and the victim's family,” Grubb said in a press release issued Saturday.

After that review, Grubb determined that Sabas and Silverhorn were not being held fully accountable for their actions in the murder of Thomas because of the way the charges were filed by his predecessor.

“I then made the decision to amend the charge filed against Ms. Sabas from first degree manslaughter to second degree murder, which is a more serious charge than how it was previously filed,” he said. “The new formal charge on this teenage defendant will allow me to ask a jury to sentence Ms. Sabas from 10 years to life in prison. This will best ensure justice for the victim's family and the citizens of Pottawatomie and Lincoln Counties.”

The charges against Sabas were amended on Friday, court records show.

Grubb said he also made the decision to re-file the charge against Silverhorn, whose case was previously filed in the juvenile court system. Silverhorn was charged last Wednesday as a youthful offender with second-degree murder, a more serious charge. As a result, Grubb also can seek 10 years to life in prison for Silverhorn, he said.

Speaking to the media about both cases on Saturday, Grubb said in the prior case involving Sabas, a manslaughter count did not fit the crime and he feels Silverhorn should be held accountable for his actions beyond what the juvenile system would allow.

“That child {Thomas} would not have died but for his actions,” Grubb said, adding that Silverhorn brought the gun that was involved that day.

Both Sabas and Silverhorn remain in juvenile custody, Grubb said.

The next court date for Silverhorn hasn't yet been scheduled, but Sabas is scheduled to appear before a judge for a preliminary hearing Jan. 24. During a preliminary hearing, a judge determines if there is enough evidence for a case to proceed.

Watch for updates on both cases.