Preliminary hearings are now scheduled in Pottawatomie County District Court for two teenagers charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of McLoud sophomore Kaylen Thomas.

Isabella Irene Sabas, 15, and Alano Marcelo Silverhorn, 17, are charged as youthful offenders in the death of Thomas, 16, who died Oct. 5 after being shot in the head at a classmate’s house in McLoud.

Back in November, Sabas was charged by the previous district attorney with first-degree manslaughter for recklessly handling the firearm that discharged, while Silverhorn, whose name and other information was not yet known, was charged in the juvenile system.

But after District Attorney Allan Grubb took office Jan. 7, he reviewed the evidence in the file and discussed the circumstances with law enforcement officers and the victim’s family.

Grubb said he determined that Sabas and Silverhorn were not being held fully accountable for their actions.

“I then made the decision to amend the charge filed against Ms. Sabas from first degree manslaughter to second degree murder, which is a more serious charge than how it was previously filed,” he said.

Grubb also made the decision charge Silverhorn as a youthful offender instead of leaving his case in the juvenile court system. As a result, Grubb can seek 10 years to life in prison for both defendants, upon conviction.

A preliminary hearing for Silverhorn is now scheduled Feb. 28, while the preliminary hearing for Sabas, which was originally set last week, is scheduled Friday.

Watch for updates.