With temperatures around 13 degrees, Shawnee firefighters battled a house fire early Monday morning at a home on Janeway Place.

Shawnee Fire Department Battalion Chief Tony Wittman said the occupants of the home were asleep when they were awakened by smoke detectors and safely exited the home.

When fire crews arrived, there was quite a bit of heavy smoke in the house, but the fire was mostly in the attic area, Wittmann said.

With the bitter cold temperatures, firefighters had issues with freezing water and hoses freezing to the ground, Wittman said, as they also had to be cautious on scene with slippery icy surfaces. In addition to the water from the fire, there also was a water main break in the area, he said.

The home sustained quite a bit of damage from the blaze, Wittman said, and the occupants of the home are reportedly staying with relatives.

No injuries were reported.