At about a quarter to 8 a.m. Tuesday Shawnee firefighters were dispatched to a single-family residence at 115 W. Georgia. The occupant was reported to have had a minor injury, but the pet did not survive.

At about a quarter to 8 a.m. Tuesday Shawnee firefighters were dispatched to a single-family residence at 115 W. Georgia.

Shawnee Fire Department Battalion Chief Tony Wittman said when crews arrived on the scene there was quite a bit of smoke coming out of the structure.

“There was heavy fire in the back of the house and smoke damage throughout,” he said.

The home's occupant was reported as having a minor laceration, but a pet found inside did not fare so well.

A large dog was rescued and treated with a pet oxygen mask, but the animal did not survive.

Wittman said though they do not have the occasion to use pet-friendly oxygen masks that often, firefighters are sometimes able to save pets with the equipment.

He said the blaze is under investigation by the fire marshal's office.