Shawnee police are investigating the assault of 36-year-old resident Jarric DeShawn Carolina and 36-year-old Monty Whittet, who were allegedly assaulted by two men in the parking lot outside of BrickHouse Saloon in downtown Shawnee about 2 a.m. Saturday, June 22.

According to Shawnee Police Department Cpl. Vivian Lozano, 24-year-old Devan N. Johnson, Harrah, and 28-year-old Brandon W. Killian, Oklahoma City, were arrested after a traffic stop and booked into jail on complaints of aggravated assault and battery. Formal charges have not been filed.

"Officers responded to a physical disturbance...and located a black male lying in the parking lot bleeding," Lozano said.

According to the police report, Carolina had "blood coming out of his mouth, injuries such as multiple lacerations...swelling all over his head and he was completely unconscious" when officers arrived on the scene.

REACT EMS ambulance arrived and transported Carolina to an Oklahoma City hospital, the report shows, and Whittet refused medical treatment on the scene.

A clinical coordinator at OU Medical Center confirmed Monday that Carolina was still in the hospital, but was listed in fair and stable condition.

As part of the ongoing investigation, Lozano said officers will speak with Carolina in the next day or two.

As of Monday, Johnson was released from the Pottawatomie County Public Safety Center and is out on bail, while Killian was still jailed Monday evening on a $25,000 bond, jail officials said.

Lozano said Shawnee police are looking into all avenues as to why the assault occurred.

According to the report, a witness took video on his cell phone and told officers the suspects were yelling racial slurs at Carolina.

The report also stated in his statement to the police the witness saw two white males assault a black male and an additional white male, with the report showing that the two white males, later identified as Killian and Johnson, “repeatedly punched and began shouting the 'N-Word,'” the report shows.

The witness told police he saw the suspects fleeing the scene in a white truck, which is how officers identified the two and arrested them shortly after a traffic stop.

Both Johnson and Killian were interviewed by police. According to the report, after officers left him alone, Killian began “to punch himself in the face multiple times in attempt to redden his face" for photos taken of his injuries.

The report also stated police are using the cell phone footage as evidence in their investigation.

When reviewing the video, police observed that after both Carolina and Whitett were on the ground, “Johnson and Killian continued punching, kicking, stomping and spitting on him,” the officer's report shows.

A GoFundMe has been started for Carolina to help pay his medical expenses. As of Monday evening, $1,695 out of a $8,000 goal had been raised. To donate visit

Once Shawnee police complete their investigation, case reports will be turned over to the district attorney's office.

Check back for updates.