Since school has been in session for about a month. Chances are your live is "whizzing" by and your doing the best you can to get those lunch boxes and back packs out the door each morning. But, without a little TLC these items can get germy if we aren't careful.
* Wash metal or plastic lunchboxes like you would wash dishes, in the sink or dishwasher if they are dishwasher-safe.
* For soft-sided lunchboxes, check the label - you may be able to wash them with your clothes. If not, use a soapy rag, or disinfectant wipe to clean out the inside surfaces.
* Get in the habit of washing lunchboxes weekly and cleaning spills or spots as soon as you see them.
* Empty the backpacks completely at least once a week. Give them a good shake outside to get rid of unwanted pests, dirt or trash. Remember back packs can bring home bed bugs, so leaving them near the front door and not in bedrooms is best.
* Be sure to check every pocket - some backpacks have several. Use a small vacuum attachment to completely empty them.
* Check the label and use the washing machine if possible. Otherwise, hand wash. If the fabric doesn't have a care label, test a small part of the fabric first before you wash the whole thing.
* Pre-treat any stains using a pre-treatment stain remover.
* Let the backpack air-dry with all the pockets open.
These daily use items need your attention, but with a little effort we can keep them clean all year!
Source: Clean and Happy Nest, Cleaning Institute
Oklahoma State University, U.S. Department of Agriculture, State and Local Governments Cooperating: The Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service offers its programs to all eligible persons regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, or status as a veteran, and is an equal opportunity employer.
Oklahoma State University, as an equal opportunity employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. Oklahoma State University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all individuals and does not discriminate based on race, religion, age, sex, color, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, or veteran status with regard to employment, educational programs and activities, and/or admissions. For more information, visit https:///eeo.okstate.edu<https://eeo.okstate.edu/>