Have you noticed all the fire trucks around town, at school and day care centers? It is Fire Prevention Month. I can still remember sitting in kindergarten when the fire fighters came to visit and taught me STOP, DROP and ROLL. Now I hear they have added - Get Low and Go to the instructions.
But, fire plans are not just for kids. Everyone should have a plan in place and the whole family should know and practice it. Here are a few simple tips to get your plan in place.
1. Clear an escape route-put away toys and rearrange any furniture that prevents easy access to an outside door or window.
2. Assign accountability partners-to make sure everybody gets out safely, including pets. Remember, some people can sleep through anything.
3. Close door behind you-as you walk through your escape route. This will slow the spread of fire and giving you more time to escape.
4. Teach your family to test closed doors-And use an alternate route if a door is warm. Before a drill, label some doors "hot!" as practice for knowing and using alternate routes.
5. Get low and Go-Practice with your children crawling through the house in the escape route.
6. Practice using an escape ladder-Store rope ladders so they are easy to find.
7. Stop, drop and ROLL-once you've made it out.
8. Choose an outside safe meeting place-and stay PUT!!