The 1925 class members, 160 of them, the second largest class in history, received their diplomas on the evening of May 21. The class ranked unusually high in scholarship. Principal Charles F. Bradshaw said they were well above average in its general personnel.


The 1925 class members, 160 of them, the second largest class in history, received their diplomas on the evening of May 21. The class ranked unusually high in scholarship. Principal Charles F. Bradshaw said they were well above average in its general personnel.

As the usual custom, the class occupied the center section of the seats. The commencement marked the last appearance in the gray caps and gowns for the seniors. Those colors were adopted several years earlier for commencement week.

The program opened with a number by the high school orchestra, followed by the processional of the graduates. The invocation was then asked by Rev. W.A. Merrill. Two musical numbers followed with a piano solo from Helen France Brown and a vocal duet by Addie Cohen and Leota Higgins.

This was followed by the keynote address from Dr. Charles B. DeBow, pastor of the First Methodist Church of Oklahoma City. He was described as a brilliant mind, secondary to his kindly soul.

Principal Bradshaw then presented the graduates to Dr. George S. Baxter, president of the school board for their diplomas. Dr. Baxter then introduced Walter Emery, outstanding talent who gained national fame as an orator.

In a brief address, Emery urged the value of a college education and thanked the parents and the community for providing the educational opportunities for him and his classmates. Following his remarks, Dr. Baxter then presented the graduates with their diplomas. The proceedings were then ended with the benediction, offered by Rev. T.S. Pittenger.


On Saturday, May 30, the businesses of Shawnee and Pottawatomie County closed their doors. They wanted to remember and honor the heroes who sacrificed their lives in the cause of humanity, or who had gone down fighting for the principles of liberty. The city planned the most extensive Memorial Day exercises ever conducted in the city’s history.

Meeting at Main and Park streets at 9:45 A.M., a parade was formed that moved east on Main Street to Tucker, where cars were taken to Fairview Cemetery. Veterans of the Grand Army of the Republic headed the line of march, followed by Spanish-American War veterans, American Legion, Salvation Army, Red Cross, Boy Scouts, and other fraternal bodies.

The program at the cemetery was carried out under the direction of Captain Charles Richmond of the Salvation Army. He was also chaplain of the American Legion. It was the desire of those in charge of the arrangements that no grave of any man who died in the world war be left undecorated. Immediately after the services at Fairview, the party went to the Catholic Cemetery, where the services were repeated.

On the next day, the organizations attended services at the Emmanuel Episcopal Church, where the annual Memorial Day sermon was preached by Rev. Charles E. Widney, rector of the church.


The Enid franchise in the Southwestern Baseball League was transferred to Shawnee. The first game was scheduled for June 23. The remaining home games of the club would be played in the city for the rest of the season. It was announced on June 17, by president of the club following a conference with several Shawnee businessmen.

The club finished a three-game series with Blackwell in Enid. They then left for games in Salina and Topeka. The team would then come to Shawnee for the first home game with Arkansas City, the current league leaders at the time.

Clyde Pulse, the president of the club said the Enid fans gave no patronage to the club and it was necessary for him to move the franchise in order to insure himself against losses which he had sustained during the past year.

The league was made up of Salina, Cushing, Arkansas City, Topeka, Blackwell, and now, Shawnee, who was currently in last place.

On the day of the first game, Mayor Charlie Hawk proclaimed a three-hour holiday in order that the citizens might witness “Him Heave” the first ball over the plate. The day even included a parade from downtown to the baseball park. The team lost its opener in Shawnee, 5-4. However, it came back the second day with a 6-5 victory.

Although the people of Shawnee loved baseball, the team was not very good and continued in the cellar during the first half and in the second half of the league.


Citizens of Shawnee held a special election on July 1, 1925, on a city ordinance which would make it unlawful for moving picture shows to operate on Sunday. The proposed ordinance passed by a majority of 255 votes. It was one of the most spirited special elections ever known in the city. A total of 2,761 votes were cast.

This was the second time in less than a year that the citizens of Shawnee considered the Sunday movie question. In August of 1924, an ordinance legalizing the Sunday movie was passed by almost 300 votes.

Although no statement was issued at the time, it was intimated by those opposed to the ordinance that the legality of the election would be challenged in the courts. The contention being that the election was called illegally.

(These stories and hundreds more appear in the first volume of Shawnee history, entitled: “REDBUD CITY: SHAWNEE, THE EARLY YEARS, 1830-1929.” It can be purchased by calling Clyde Wooldridge at (918) 470-3728, or by visiting the Pottawatomie County Historical Society at the old Santa Fe Depot. The cost of purchase is $35. Volume two, “1930-1949,” is also available for $30. Volume three, “REDBUD CITY: SHAWNEE, THE MIDDLE YEARS, 1950-1969,” is now available, at a cost of $35. All three volumes are more than 400 pages with hundreds of photos and illustrations. A combination of two or three can be purchased at $30 each. They are fully indexed, making it easy to look up individuals or places of business. Volume four 1970-1989, is scheduled for the fall of 2020; volume five 1990-2009, should be available in the fall of 2021; and volume six 2010-to the present, is scheduled for the fall of 2022. They are also available on thumb drive at the PCHS Museum.)

Clyde Wooldridge is a local historian.