Shawnee's State National Building on Main Street named to historical list
The Oklahoma Historical Society, State Historic Preservation Office (OKSHPO) has added a Shawnee building to its list.
The State National Bank Building at 2 East Main Street in Shawnee, Pottawatomie County, was built in 1928. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places for its significance in Commerce and Economics, as well as for Architecture. The building was built for the State National Bank, which was established in 1902. The bank closed as part of the National Banking Holiday of 1933. In 1934 the building reopened as the American National Bank. In 1936 a three-story addition was constructed off the north side of the building. The upper floors of the building were also home to numerous local businesses over the years, including several oil companies that came to Shawnee after oil was discovered in the region in the early 1920s. The six-story building is one of the largest historic buildings in Shawnee, and is an excellent example of Classical Revival architecture in that city.